I am not going to write spoiler alert all over this, as I know many of you come to this site for the WOTLK screenshots. To feed you with more spoiler goodness, I took a trip around Dalaran with my level 80 pre-made druid.
As you probably know by now, Dalaran has moved from it’s current position beneath a purple bubble north of Southshore, to Northrend. It’s Northrend’s answer to Shattrah – the main (and neutral) city on the continent. You will find banks, battlemasters, vendors, trade skill trainers, inns, and much more. You won’t find an auction house or class trainers (except for possibly mages).
Dalaran is a floating city, hovering in the air above the Dragonblight/Crystalsong Forest…
It is staggeringly beautiful – a magical city, a cross between Silvermoon, Harry Potter’s Diagon Alley, and images of cities from 1,001 Nights and those inhabited by Ali Baba, Sinbad or Aladdin.
The map, below, shows the zones of Dalaran, proper.
My alliance character started off in the Silver Enclave, which is where the alliance battlemasters and portals to the alliance cities were located. He was prohibited from the Sunreaver’s enclave, and was thrown out when he tried to enter. This seemed to be horde only.
Currently, there are also portals to the BGs in the beta. Not sure if this is just for testing, or whether such portals would remain.
The streets of Dalaran, a cat’s eye/butt view..
But everything is not all bright and beautiful – Dalaran has a darker underbelly. Things lurk in the sewers; fight clubs, shady vendors, taverns for scarred warriors not pretty blood elves. You can access the sewers either via one of the tunnel entrances or by jumping down a well.
Alternatively, look for the dark tunnels, leading down…
In the sewers (besides giant sewer rats) are, duelling areas…
A bank for dwarves and others, who think their gold is safer underground…
An inn, where men can be, err, men, and tauren can get off their kodos and drink their milk.
And some shady dealers, who refused to be photographed. Small pet collectors and Death Knights should seek out Darahir the Regeants and Magical Goods Vendor down here, for 40G he sells the ghostly Skull an original spooky mini-pet.
So how do you get to this magical city?
According to WOW wiki There are several ways to get to Dalaran:
- Mages can talk to NPCs in Dragonblight and learn to teleport to Dalaran after completing  available at level 71.
- Mages can learn a portal to Dalaran at 74 from the portal trainer. This allows anyone to get to Dalaran
- Anyone who is at least level 74 can complete  from any of several members of the Kirin Tor, which will portal them to Dalaran once.
- Once in Dalaran (via the quest at 74 or via a Mage portal or a Warlock summon),  can be obtained (provided you’re at least level 70?) which “attunes” you to Dalaran, and you can return any time via the Teleport to Dalaran Crystal from Crystalsong Forest.
- Someone already in Dalaran can group-invite you for PvP at the city’s Battlemasters. After you leave the battleground you will spawn in the floating city. However, the inviting player has to be of the same level range for the specific battleground pool as you, or you won’t get the group-invite.
- You can use the flight path located on Krasus’ Landing
- You can launch your own flying mount from Krasus’ Landing (you cannot fly elsewhere in the city, if you try and fly over the city, you are warned, and then are dismounted, you float to safety with a parachute)
- You can use one of the portals to major cities, or the portal to the Caverns of Time (located in The Violet Citadel)
- You can exit through a sewer pipe – there’s a long drop – so launch out using your flying mount (although someone did say a parachute would open before you hit the ground – I tested this and think I chickened out and pressed my druid flight form just as the parachute was appearing – it left it a bit late)