My Druid Bluebear hit 80 a couple of days ago. Within a day of hitting 80 WOW heroes recorded her as being geared for Naxx 10 and 25 man and Eye of Eternity 10 man. The day after hitting 80 I went to Obsidian Sanctum 10 man with my guild where I was dealing over 3k damage on the trash (AOE) and 2.7k damage on the boss. I am not writing this to boast, I am just writing it to say it’s possible, especially with an alt, and here’s how.
1. Plan ahead. I researched a pre-naxx gear list and a raiding gear list well in advance of hitting 80. For druids, Grey Matter does a great job on both.
2. Make money and gather mats with your main. Most of Bluebear’s gear on stepping into OS was crafted or BOE blues and purples, either made by myself or friends with mats I had gathered, or bought from the ah.
4. Follow the prices of your gear list on the ah and buy low. I started looking for, and buying up, Bluebear’s gear from the time she was about 73. This gave me time to find good low deals, and to spread my purchases, rather than having to spend all my cash at once.
5. Get the appropriate gems, enchants and armor kits. Too many people go into raids not appropriately enchanted. Enchants make a huge difference to your gear. I sent nearly every green I got when levelling to Anelf for disenchanting to stock up mats for my enchants.
6. Learn to play your class. Err, this sounds obvious. Do some research on blogs like this one and Elitist Jerks etc. about the best spec, stats, shot rotations, etc. for raiding. Playstyle for raiding is often very different from that for soloing and grinding or even from 5-mans. I respecced to my raiding spec at 78 and practiced it both when soloing (even though it wasn’t optimum for that) and on the target dummies. Don’t forget practice on the target dummies with recount or a damage meter allowing you to measure your shot rotations.
8. When you raid ensure you have the right buffs, flasks, food, etc.
Now OK this might be a bit easier with some classes than others, there is an excellent range of BOE caster leather and cloth out there (BB is wearing a lot of cloth), but there are crafted epics and BOE pieces for most classes if you do your homework.